Developing a strong advocacy team involves you! Every local PTA unit and school district has its own issues that affect the safety, health and welfare of ALL children. Your involvement will impact legislation.
How To Recruit a Legislative Chair
--Quote from Lisa Bond, WSPTA President 2003
What skills does a Legislative Chair need?
* An interest in educating the community on children's issues.
* The ability to engage in discussion
* The ability to write effective e-mails (short and concise)
Note that knowledge of legislation is not listed and is not necessary--it's easily learned.
Who would make a good Legislative Chair?
* A "retired" past PTA President
* A vocal parent at the school who needs to direct their passion in a positive direction
* A working parent who can't be at the school during the day but wants to be involved
* Someone who is active in politics in other areas of their life
* Someone who doesn't know much about legislation but is willing to learn
* Someone who is new to the school but who was a Legislative Chair at their previous PTA
What does the job entail?
* Signing people up for action alert emails
* Speaking at PTA meetings
* Placing newsletter articles in newsletter
* Attending Legislative Assembly in October
* Attending Focus Day and bringing other PTA members (January)
* Attending Region 2 Legislative Roundtable
What support is there?
* Legislative Handbook
* WSPTA, Region 2, and Council Training
* Information provided regularly through email
* Action alert emails provided to send to your distribution list
Your Elected Representatives
Residents of the Snoqualmie Valley School District are represented in the State Legislature by the 5th and 45th District Representatives and in the U.S. Congress by the Representative from the 8th Congressional District.
US Senate and Congress
Washington State Legislature
Snoqualmie Valley School District Board of Directors:
District 1: Tavish MacLean
District 2: Geoff Doy, President
District 3: Carolyn Simpson, Vice President
District 4: Marci Busby
District 5: Dan Popp
Student Representatives: Adyar Kumar & Mallory Golic
Other Legislative/Advocacy Connections:
Be on the front line of Child Advocacy...
Join one or more electronic opportunities to connect with decision makers and PTA colleagues.
- Use WSPTA’s Legislative Action Center to send a message directly to your legislators:
- Legislative Action Alert
- Grass Roots Connection
- "Legislative Talk" Listserv
- Washington State PTA Legislative Link